Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 July 2010

Sleep deprivation

Hurrah! I:m here! Do excuse the poor punctuation but the keyboard is laid out differently here and I only have 5 mins left on my internet time so no time for correction if I:m to tell you all about my adventures so far.

After a fitful night of not sleeping properly my alarm was un-necessary at 5am as I was wide awake. I was picked up by a man called Wonky and a lady called Jane (who incidentally learnt to dive when she was 72 but that:s another story for another day). We picked up another of my mum:s friends and zoomed off to Birmingham where Wonky dropped us off and promised to collect us in 2 1/2 weeks time.

The flight to Germany was fine - I recommend Luftansa for leg room and food. We transferred at Frankfurt - like you do - and flew on to Tokyo - by this stage the local time was now 7am and in my head I:d been awake for about 28 hours. So we managed to work out our way to get into Tokyo (as the airport is actually 60km away) and then discovered that the cheap train we were hoping to get would actually take us 10 hours. By this point we were exhausted, hot, and feeling altogether a bit weird from the mixture of Japanese and Germany foods on the plane. So we decided to bite the bullet and get the Bullet train. This was an altogether more pleasurable exp@erience - still took 3 hours mind you - who knew it was a long way from one bit of Japan to another - looks fairly small on a map!

The Bullet train was 鉢に巣りん空ら利 - apologies I seem to have pressed the magic Japanese button - worked out how to go back to English now! Where was I...ah yes...The Bullet train was pretty cool - nice toilets (with a button on the wall to make the seat go down - how great is that girls!) a vending machine plus a man selling random food such as green tea ice cream (it was very green).

Finally arrived in Kobe and caught a bus to our hotel. It was now 4.30 in the afternoon - in my head about 36 hours since I last slept (yes I know there:s a nine hour time difference but you try telling my head that). We checked in and all went to sleep for a couple of hours. Just been out to dinner - lovely - ans a walk around the area - more of that tomorrow hopefully but I just thought I:d end by mentioning the sign on the lawn outside the hotel "please keep your dogs and cats off the grass" - good luck with that one - (No mention of goats so my pet nanny goat is fine obviously!).

I:m feeling weirdly sea sick which I:m putting down to lack of sleep and humidity so I shall sign off - hopefully another update tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I love Lufansa for food (and leg room too)- Malc once managed to get three meals out of them ;-)

    ReplyDelete