Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 July 2010

The final curtain

And yes we face the final curtain - or whatever Old Blue Eyes sang. Tomorrow`s my last full day in Japan and so this could be my last Japanese blog. Of course we may get stuck at Frankfurt airport for 3 weeks and then you`ll never hear the end of me.

My heat rash is still a delight but at least the sunburn has mostly turned to brown. I should almost match all the people who stayed in the UK where the weather was so nice.

Today We caught a local subway to Asakusa district where craft shops line the streets up to the big temple. There`s a pagoda and lots of giant lanterns but the main image for worshipping is considered too holy for us to look at so it`s kept locked away. Apparently it is a small gold statue 7.5cm tall of a god which was found by 2 lucky fishermen who now have their own shrine! We caught the ferry from here to some lovely gardens and then walked to the Ginza district of Tokyo which is their equivalent of 5th Avenue. By this stage my sandal sole was about 85% loose from the base making it rather tricky to walk back up hill to our hotel. I did show it to the man at the shoe repair stall at the station but he just shook his head, flapped the sole about, ranted in Japanese and handed it back to me. Ah well, at least that`s a little less weight in my suitcase!

Sayonara

No comments:

Post a Comment