Search This Blog

Friday 16 July 2010

Mardy Gras

So today is the big final day of the Gion festival. Yesterday during my shopping fest I saw many of the floats parked ready for today`s parade. Last night we went into the city to see all the lanterns lit on the floats. 200,000 people throng to this area the night of the 16th to admire them so it was very crowded indeed. Guess what my biggest fear is...yes that`s right crowds.

Today was the 5th bad night`s sleep in a row (my acupunture has worn off) so I:m not exactly feeling at my finest today. I think most people suffer a mardy day somewhere in there holidays. A day when they just want to be by themselves and eat cake. Mine is today. I went to see the carnival but as the rain has finally stopped the sun has come out and it`s so incredibly hot. For the first few minutes I thought "how lovely I might get a tan after all" but after 5 mins I was trying to find shade. The streets were immensely crowded and despite the relatively short stature of the Japanese I (being rather short myself) couldn:t see anything, was sweating like a hose pipe and my ability to control by crowdphobia was waning so as I:d seen lots of the floats (and if I:m honest they largely all look alike) I waited for the first one and then wandered back to the hotel via a cake shop.

Is this really bad or should we all be entitled to our own personal mardy gras?

Sayonara.

1 comment:

  1. I think mardy days are obligatory - the best thing to do is what you did - retreat to a safe distance and eat :-) Hope its all still going well though, sounds like a real experience x

    ReplyDelete