Search This Blog

Monday 19 July 2010

After my mardy day I`m generally feeling much more chipper again now. Although the rainy season finished 5 days early and to prove it I am now sunburnt and covered in a delightful heatrash. It was 39 at one part of the day but it may have been hotter still and soooooo humid. That said I`m having a lovely time so far in Tokyo. We got the bullet train here from Kyoto (have you noticed Tokyo and Kyoto are anagrams? Not sure if that`s intentional or a weird coincidence). There are several different levels of the bullet train ranging from really fast to super duper fast. We got the super fast (2nd fastest) and it was a very pleasant journey. Dragging my suitcase up a hill to the hotel: less good.

Today was our first full day here so we found the main tourist info office in the conveniently located back room on the 10th floor of a shopping centre not near the main station. Then wandered into the amazing Tokyo International Forum - which is a glass building with a boat hull type ceiling (go on google it - you know you want to). We stopped at an electrical store to get a new memory card and see if I could get a pin to hold my camera strap on but as it was going to take 3 weeks to repair and we leave on Thursday I thought better and am using my 100 yen sticky tape instead.

We plodded on to the sky bus for an open top tour of Tokyo (in 39 degree heat - not so bright!) and then a look round the Imperial Palace gardens. We then caught a train to Oena Park where I went to the zoo but was sad to discover the giant pandas mentioned in the guide book have now died. Lots to see though but conditions in UK zoos def. better.

Food is still amazing - eaten all kinds of mystery foods and can convince myself it:s all healthy!

Syonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment