Search This Blog

Friday 9 July 2010

Pilgrammage complete

Yes it`s true. I have completed my pilgrammage to IKEA. Took the obligitory photos of the signs in Swedish and Japanese and bought myself a lemon squeezer thing - you never know when it`ll come in handy for a whopping 29 yen (about 22p). Also bought a mr whippy style ice cream from a vending machine. I:ll grant you it didn`t actually come out of the machine all whipped, I just got a token which I took to the till and a nice lady then did it in the usual way. I was only slightly disappointed. This brings my total of IKEAs now to 13 in 4 different countries. I fear I have begun something that I didn:t mean to with this. Good job I like meatballs!

I slso went on a little bus around the city of Kobe but I:ve no idea what the commentator said as it was all in Japanese. I did get to see the sites of Kobe - it:s not really a town of sites if I:m honest, but then considering most of it was flattened in an earthquake only about 15 years ago, killing 6000 people, it:s hardly surprising. I did note that in our hotel handbook there:s a section with instructions of what to do should we have another earthquake. Highly reassuring!

I went up to the 21st floor of the hotel last night to look at the views. We:re staying on a man made island so you can see way back to the mainland. It:s very much a working port and industrial city so whilst impressive the view was thankfully saved a bit by the ridge of mountains surrounding the area.

Tonight we have a banquet to go to. Thankfully it:s in the hotel so I don:t need to worry about my swollen ankles and heels in the heat too much.

Tomorrow I will try and tell you about the Japanese toilets as let:s face it they are one of the most famous things about Japanese travel. For now though, Sayonara.

1 comment:

  1. That's very exciting! I have been to ikea in hong kong and was a little disappointed at how similar it was..,

    ReplyDelete